Edinburgh’s Camera Obscura and World of Illusions is in the same six-storey building Maria Short bought in 1853. Because this special building is listed, it’s impossible to add a lift. But we’ll do everything we can to help. Need a walking stick stool for your visit? They’re free from reception.
- Camera Obscura is fun at any age – from toddler to teenager to grandparents.
Young babies are welcome and will love the sights and sounds of our World of Illusions.
Our attractions are not suitable for pushchairs but you can borrow one of our brilliant baby carriers – there’s no charge.
- We’ve also got baby changing facilities in our male and female toilets.
- Children aged 12 and under need to be accompanied by an adult during their visit. An adult qualifies as anyone aged 16 and over.
Hard of hearing of Deaf
Our exhibits are mostly visual, so visitors with limited hearing can enjoy almost all the fun. Before showtime, we recommend reading the printed version of the Camera Obscura Show – available (in English) just outside the entrance to the show.
- There’s plenty for partially sighted visitors to enjoy at Camera Obscura and World of Illusions. Some of our visual illusions also have interactive, hands-on aspects to stimulate the other senses, and during the Camera Obscura Show, your guide will describe everything in detail. It’s like your very own Victorian movie with audio description. Let our team know about your requirements when you arrive and you’ll get 10% off your ticket price.
- Please be aware that some exhibits need darkness to work properly. Our kick-along stools can also present a trip hazard.
- Although we don’t have a lift, our brightly lit stairwell with contrasting handrail can make our six-storey tower accessible.
Visitors on the Autistic spectrum or other
- The freedom to go at your own pace makes the World of Illusions a great choice for a day out.
- Spend ages at some illusions and skip others altogether – whatever pace works. The attraction is split over five floors, so if one area gets too noisy, there’s always another section to move on to. Need a break? Leave for a while and come back again later, we’ll stamp your hand so you don’t have to pay twice.
- Undecided on the best time to visit? Call us. We’ll talk you through everything that might be useful to know in advance. If you’re still unsure, come along and see how it goes. We’ll refund your ticket price in full if things don’t go to plan.
Toilets are only available on the first floor.