Guidelines for your visit
We are currently closed until further notice in line with recent Scottish Government restrictions.
To find out the latest guidelines and restrictions for your area, please check the Scottish Government website.
Safety comes first (closely followed by fun!) and it is important everyone follows the Scottish Government guidance to protect themselves and others. This means you must respect the new guidelines in place at Camera Obscura. Your visit will feel a little different to normal, but we hope just as much fun!
We really appreciate your support and patience and kindly ask that you read all the information available below.
Hopefully you can visit us soon – we look forward to seeing you!
We're Good To Go: COVID-19 Industry Standard
In Partnership with; The National Tourist Organisations of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In recognition that this business has confirmed that they have followed
government and industry COVID-19 guidelines, ensuring processes are in
place to maintain cleanliness and aid social/physical distancing.
These are the things we are doing:
- Checking in: when you arrive in our admissions area, you’ll see the social distancing queuing markers. Please use these to respect social distancing when waiting to enter. You will be required to wear a face covering during your visit and register for the Scottish Governments Trace and Protect system. A member of the team will then check your ticket and talk you through the safety measures in place during your visit.
- Reduced capacity: we have reduced the number of people we are welcoming to only 30% of our normal full capacity. This is to ensure you have enough safe space so that you can have an enjoyable experience with us.
- One-way system: There will be a new one-way route in place for you to follow during your visit. This will still allow you to see and take part in all our interactive exhibits. There is no time limit, and you can take as long as you need to explore each floor. Please follow the arrows as you make your way around the site.
- Signage, screens and floor markings: we have installed new safety signage and marked out social distancing at various points throughout the attraction. For our team we have installed safety screens at the admission and retail till points.
- Our team safety protocols: the team will be wearing face coverings and sometimes gloves. Team members will endeavour to maintain a safe distance between you and your group, however are still happy to help with any questions you may have.
- Washing / Sanitising hands: Hand sanitiser stations are allocated at every exhibition floor entry and exit. There are also handwashing facilities in our toilets located on the first floor.
- Cards not cash: our online booking system is easy to use and you must pre-book an admission slot before visiting. On site, please use contactless payment where possible to reduce the cash handling.
- Keeping it clean: we already maintain the highest standards of hygiene on site, but now more than ever we’ll be going above and beyond to make sure the attraction is super clean. We’ve upped the regular cleaning regime of surfaces and touch points and have invested in more thorough deep cleans as well.
We have taken enhanced health and safety measures across our site for you, our other visitors and our team members. An inherent risk of Covid19 exists in every public place where people are present. By entering our attraction, visitors accept they have a duty to take steps to ensure their own safety and respect others.
You can read our risk assessment here.
- All staff and visitors are required to wear a face covering
- You can visit in groups of 6 from no more than 2 households
- You select a timed entry with limited capacity per time slot
- Increased cleaning and ventilation
- Social distancing
There are many ways for you to reach us, by foot, car or public transport.
We understand that you might be nervous using public transport at this time and may prefer to travel by car. Our nearest car park is Castle Terrace NCP and Camera Obscura visitors can receive a discount parking ticket which gives up to 5 hours parking for £10.00 (regular cost £19.50. If over 5 hours discount does not apply). Please ask the team on arrival for your discount ticket. This car park is approximately 10 minutes’ walk away.
QPark Quartermile – is a 10 minute walk from Camera Obscura. Parking charges apply.
If using public transport we are close to various bus stops and a short walk from Waverley Train Station. You can find out more about how to visit us on our Getting Here page.
Please be sure to follow current safety guidance when using public transport, especially at peak times.